Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge is a deluxe Disney resort hotel. It’s one of 8 deluxe resorts to choose from at Disney World.
The AKL is a perfect choice if you want to be close to the Disney theme parks, while having spectacular scenery from your room. The Animal Kingdom resort borders on the Animal Kingdom theme park, where African animals roam free.
A stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge will place you in the heart of all the wildlife of the huge Animal Kingdom theme park.
This Disney resort hotel is beautifully themed as an African Savannah lodge. This four story hotel has thatched roof, grand entrance lobby with real clay fireplace, authentic African art work, decor and African wildlife roaming close by!
This is only Disney resort where you can view over 30 animal species from your own balcony. Wildlife you might see includes giraffes, antelope, gazelles, ostriches, zebra and wilder beast. There are carefully placed barriers to ensure everyone’s safety.
At night you’ll find that the resort is dimly lit so as not to disturb the park wildlife.
Some rooms have views over Animal Kingdom plains, some do not. As you might expect, the ‘Savannah View’ rooms cost a little bit more money, but you’ll be rewarded with amazing views of grazing animals and exotic birds.
Below is a view from one of the Savannah rooms overlooking the park. Imagine waking up to views like this every morning!
This Disney hotel is perhaps the most remote of all the on-site hotels. Located at the south-east corner of the Disney World resort, it is closest to Animal Kingdom,
Blizzard Beach water park and Disney’s Hollywood Studios. A shuttle bus service is included in your stay which will transport you to all the Disney theme parks and hotels – Disney Magical Express
The resort features a 11,000sq ft swimming pool, children’s pool – plus 2 Jacuzzis which are great for soothing achy muscles after a day at the theme parks.
Check in time: 3:00pm
Check out time: 11:00am
Number of rooms: 1293
Animal Kingdom Lodge Map, Address & Directions
2901 Osceola Parkway
Lake Buena Vista
Tel: (407) 938-3000 front desk
Orlando attractions near the Animal Kingdom Lodge:-
- Disney Magic Kingdom – 2.5 miles
- Animal Kingdom – located next to Animal Kingdom
- Epcot Center – 4 miles
- Disney Hollywood Studios – 2.5 miles
- Typhoon Lagoon Orlando – 4.6 miles
- Blizzard Beach water park – 2 miles
- Universal Studios theme park, Universal Islands of Adventure & Universal CityWalk – 14 miles
- SeaWorld, Aquatica Water Park & Discovery Cove Florida – 11 miles
- Wet N Wild water park – 11 miles
- Pointe Orlando – shopping, comedy shows, restaurants – 10 miles
- Orlando Premium Outlets – 7.2 miles
- Orange County Convention Center – 10.7 miles
- Downtown Orlando – 11 miles
- Busch Gardens Florida – 61 miles
- Kennedy Space Center Florida – 67 miles
- Orlando International Airport (MCO) – 18 miles
Get Directions to Animal Kingdom Lodge
Animal Kingdom Lodge Dining
The AKL has 3 dining options to choose from, plus a lobby lounge full service bar.
Located below the main lobby of the AKL. This the resorts fine dining restaurant serving African themed dishes.
The cuisine is distinctly African themed and you’ll find many choices such as fillet mignon steaks, lamb shank, braised pork shank, grilled tuna, swordfish, shrimp and many exotic cheeses, platters and curries. Jiko offers over 65 different South African specialty wines that can be ordered by the glass or by the bottle.
Jiko’s is child friendly and it has it’s own kids menu.
It’s busiest before 8pm, so if you’re looking forward to a quiet date-night meal, it’s best to make reservations for later in the evening.
Prices at Jiko’s restaurant are as follows:-
Boma is a buffet style restaurant open for breakfast (7.30-11am) and dinner (5-10pm).
Here you’ll find buffet food stations where you can choose fresh ingredients to create your own made to order salad, soups, omelettes and entrees.
Breakfast offerings include: omelettes, pancakes, eggs, sausage, fresh fruit juices, breakfast pizzas, brioche (like French toast) and pastries.
The cost of the breakfast buffet is $18.99 adults, $10.99 children 3-9.
Dinner choices include: roast chicken, peppered steak, wide selection of salads, African soups, vegetable kebabs, pancakes, choice grilled meats and fish.
The cost of a buffet meal is $30.88 adults, $14.99 children 3-9. (Tax and tip is extra).
This is a food court style eatery open for breakfast, lunch quick snacks and drinks. It opens from 7am-11.30pm. You can grab a quick burger, fish sandwich, salad, soup or pizza here. Mara also serves espresso, cappuccino, lattes and desserts. It also has a ‘grab-n-go’ selection of snacks to take with you.
The Mara is the place to stop in and pick up a souvenir refillable mug. It costs $12.99 but you can use it for unlimited refills at Mara during your stay. You’ll find that if you drink a lot of soda, water or coffee then this is really good value if you consider that drinks cost $2.50 each!
The Mara is poolside too, so you can take a break from relaxing by the pool for a quick snack.
Victoria Falls Lounge
This located in the heart of the expansive Animal Kingdom Lodge lobby and is open from 4pm to midnight. Victoria Falls serves a selection of international beers, wines plus specialty cocktails, coffee and tea.
Victoria falls also serves a selection of snacks/appetizers such as cheese & fruit platters, shrimp cocktails, spiced nuts and crisp breads with dips. Prices vary between $4-10.
Animal Kingdom Lodge Amenities
As a deluxe Disney World resort hotel, you’ll find that the Animal Kingdom Lodge is equipped with everything you could possibly need.
- Self parking and valet parking $13.
- Uzima pool with zero entry side for young kids, plus a 67ft water slide.
- Poolside snack bars and cocktails
- Animal Kingdom Lodge has it’s own gift shop where you can pick up some memorable souvenirs.
- 2 whirlpools open until midnight for all guests
- Child sitting services available at Simba’s Club. Children 4-12 get dinner, make crafts, watch a movie and play games. You have to make reservations ahead of time. The cost is around $8/hr.
- Pumbaa’s Games Room – kids will love to play on all the arcade games here. Located next to the Mara restaurant.
- Kids Playground – there’s 24 hour fun here at this interactive playground located next to the pool area.
- Included in the room rates is transportation to all the Disney theme parks, water parks and downtown Disney by bus. No need to worry about driving or paying for parking at the theme parks.
- UK guests can enjoy free shuttle service to and from Orlando airport via Magical Express Shuttle. No need to worry about collecting baggage upon arrival, simply meet your Disney representative at the arrival lounge and climb aboard the Express Bus. Your luggage will arrive separately ready for your arrival at the resort.
- Extra Magic Hours for all Disney resort guests. Each day one or more of the Disney theme parks opens for extra hours. This is a nice quiet time for Disney resort guests only. To view Extra Magic Hours please see Disney park opening times.
- Disney hotel ID charge card – this allows you to be cash free and charge any ticket, merchandise or food purchases to your hotel ID card.
- Disney resort guests enjoy package delivery services. Imagine you are out at one of the theme parks and you pick up several souvenirs, how are you going to carry them around for the rest of the day? It’s probably going to be a pain, so why not use the free Disney package delivery service. When you buy any merchandise it will be delivered straight to your room.
Animal Kingdom Lodge Rooms
There are 5 types of guest rooms to choose from at AKL.
Each room sleeps 4 adults. Prices vary according to the time of year. Disney has certain dates in which it is cheaper or more expensive to visit. Basically to get the cheapest prices avoid major US holidays such as Easter, Christmas and Thanksgiving.
There are 4 types of rates: value, regular, peak and holiday. The value rate is the cheapest and the holiday rate is the most expensive.
- Standard view room – from $240. Has either one king bed and one day bed, 2 queen beds or one queen beds and a bunk bed. View will be parking lot or resort view with private balcony.
- Pool view – from $245. Has either one king bed and one day be or two queen beds. Private balcony overlooking the pool area.
- Pool view with bunk beds – from $270. Has one queen bed and one bunk bed. With private balcony overlooking the pool area.
- Savannah view – from $305. Has either one king bed and one day bed or two queen beds. With private balcony overlooking the 33 acre Savannah.
- Savannah view with bunk beds – from $335. Has one queen bed and one bunk bed. With private balcony overlooking the 33 acre Savannah.
Compare prices at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
Refrigerator, coffee maker, in room safe, make up mirrors, hair drier, data port on phone, newspapers delivered daily, mini-bar, ironing board & iron, internet access (additional fee), TV with pay per view movies ESPN and the Disney channel, room service available 6am- midnight. Cots are available on request. Rooms are available for disabled access. Washers and dryers available for around $2 per use
Concierge Level rooms feature:
- Staff on-hand for all your vacation planning needs.
- Special Sunrise Safari Breakfast Adventure which is an early morning tour of the Kilamanjaro Safaris at Animal Kingdom park. You also get a special breakfast buffet plus a fast pass for the Kilamanjaro tour to use again. This tour can be taken for an additional fee – adults $58, children 3-9 $29 .
- Comfy robes in rooms
- Turn-down service
- Access to the Kilamanjaro Club which enables you to get a continental breakfast buffet and enjoy evening wine and cheese buffet.