The Botanical Harry P. Leu Gardens
Leu Gardens can provide a relaxing day out away from the tourist throngs. Leu Gardens Orlando is located north east of downtown Orlando. There’s 50 acres of Botanical gardens to explore including a historic museum house built in the 1880s.
Leu Gardens History
The Harry P. Leu Gardens was the home of Orlando millionaire and philanthropist Harry P. Leu. After purchasing the house in 1936, he traveled the world collecting many tropical plants to bring back and cultivate in the garden.
Once his plants and been established in the gardens, he decided to share his passion for gardening by opening up the garden to the general public. Such was the success and popularity of Leu Gardens, that in 1961 he deeded his house and its grounds to the City of Orlando, provided they be maintained as Botanical Gardens and open for public enjoyment. Leu Gardens Orlando is now on the National Register of Historic Places.
Leu Gardens: Features
- On-site historic museum house built in the 1880s.
- One of the largest camellia collections in the USA.
- 1,000 species of roses in the largest rose garden in Florida
- Three miles of paved walkways through lush tropical landscape including themed gardens such as the Tropical Stream Garden, the Vegetable and Herb garden, Rose Garden and Butterfly Garden.
- Orlando gardens with views of Lake Rowena, where you can see alligators soaking up the sun (from a safe distance of course!)
Leu Gardens: General Information
Harry P. Leu Gardens
1920 N. Forest Ave.
Orlando, Fla. 32803
- Operating hours are 9am to 5pm every day except Christmas Day.
- Leu House Museum opens 10am to 4pm. It will be closed in July every year.
- Admission is $7 for adults and $2 for children grades K-12. Under grade 12 is free. Admission is FREE on Mondays from 9am to 12 noon.
- Guided tours can be arranged at least 3 weeks in advance. A tour of the gardens will take 90mins and a tour of the Leu Museum and Gardens will take 2 hours. Price is $9 per adult and a $25 deposit is required.